LGBTIQ+ inclusive palliative care practice
LGBTIQ+ people and Palliative Care
All LGBTIQ+ people should feel confident that they can access inclusive palliative care that is safe and respectful. The current research indicates that there are many barriers that prevent this. see more
Palliative care includes experiencing a life-limiting illness, facing end-of-life and bereavement. It is particularly important that palliative care is inclusive and appropriate for all LGBTIQ+ people.
- There are end of life and palliative care services that provide safe, inclusive care for people who identify as LGBTI.
- These organisations will display the ‘rainbow tick’.
- Advance care planning means you can record what is important to you for end of life care and others can know what your preferences are.
- Gay and Lesbian Health Victoria (GLHV) helps LGBTI people with information on improving health and wellbeing.
- There is help available if you have experienced discrimination as an LGBTI person.