Community palliative care services
- Banksia Palliative Care Service
- Melbourne City Mission Palliative Care
- Mercy Palliative Care
- After-hours community palliative care
- Suburbs within LGAs for community palliative care service eligibility
Community palliative care services work in partnership with health, aged and community services to support people to stay living at home as long as possible and to die at home if that is their wish. This includes support for family carers and close friends.
Staffing of community palliative care services includes home visiting nurses, other medical support and a variety of allied health professionals, therapists and volunteers.
Community palliative care services work closely with GPs and other community services and medical specialists who may be involved in the care of a person with a life-limiting illness, including palliative care units of public hospitals and palliative care consultancy services.
GPs, hospitals and other health, aged and community services can make referrals to community palliative care. People can also self-refer.
In addition to people’s private homes, community palliative care support is available to people living in aged care facilities and other types of supported accommodation, including disability accommodation services.
In supporting residents of aged care facilities, community palliative care services work in cooperation with ‘Residential In-Reach/outreach’ services of metropolitan public hospitals.Information about Residential In-Reach services can be found in the aged care and palliative care section of Resources within this website.
As outlined in our NW Metro regional map on our “about us” page people are ‘zoned’ to one of the region’s three community palliative services according to where they live, designated by local government areas (LGAs).
Banksia Palliative Care Service
Catchment Area: LGAs of Banyule, Nillumbik and Whittlesea.
- Banyule: Briar Hill, Bundoora (part), Eaglemont, Greensborough, Heidelberg Heights, Heidelberg West/Bellfield, Ivanhoe, Ivanhoe East, Lower Plenty, Macleod, Montmorency, Rosanna, St Helena/Eltham North, Viewbank, Watsonia, Watsonia North, Yallambie.
- Nillumbik: Arthurs Creek, Bend of Islands, Christmas Hills, Cottles Bridge, Diamond Creek, Doreen (part), Eltham, Eltham North, Hurstbridge, Kangaroo Ground, North Warrandyte, Panton Hill, Plenty, Research, Smiths Gully, St Andrews, Strathewen, Watsons Creek, Wattle Glen, Yan Yean (part), Yarrambat.
- Whittlesea: Beveridge (part), Bundoora (part), Donnybrook, Doreen (part), Eden Park, Epping, Humevale, Kinglake West, Lalor, Mernda, Mill Park, South Morang, Thomastown, Whittlesea, Wollert, Woodstock
- Phone: 9455 0822 After hours: 94837940
- Referral: 9456 9744
- Fax: 9455 3199
- Website: Banksia Palliative Care Service
Melbourne City Mission Palliative Care
Catchment Area: LGAs of Darebin, Hume, Moreland and Yarra.
- Darebin: Alphington, Bundoora (part), Fairfield, Kingsbury, Macleod, Northcote, Preston, Reservoir, Thornbury.
- Hume: Attwood, Broadmeadows, Bulla, Campbellfield, Coolaroo, Craigieburn, Dallas, Gladstone Park, Goonawarra, Greenvale, Jacana, Kalkallo, Konagaderra, Meadow Heights, Melbourne Airport, Mickleham, Oaklands Junction, Roxburgh Park, Sunbury, Somerton, Tullamarine, Upfield, Westmeadows, Yuroke.
- Moreland: Brunswick East, Brunswick West, Coburg, Coburg North, Fawkner, Glenroy, Gowanbrae, Hadfield, Oak Park, Pascoe Vale, Pascoe Vale South, Fitzroy North (part), Tullamarine (part).
- Yarra: Alphington (part), Abbotsford, Burnley, Clifton Hill, Collingwood, Cremorne, Fairfield (part), Fitzroy, Fitzroy North (part) North Carlton, Princes Hill, Richmond.
- Phone: 9486 2666
- Fax: 9482 5094
- Website: Melbourne City Mission Palliative Care
Mercy Palliative Care
Catchment Area: LGAs of Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melbourne, Melton, Moonee Valley and Wyndham.
- Brimbank: Albion, Cairnlea, Deer Park, Delahey, Hillside, Keilor, Kings Park, St Albans, Sunshine, Sydenham, Taylors Lakes.
- Hobsons Bay: Altona Meadows, Altona North and Brooklyn, Altona – Seaholme, Laverton, Newport West, South Kingsville and Spotswood, Williamstown.
- Maribyrnong: Braybrook, Footscray, Kingsville, Maidstone, Maribyrnong, Seddon, Tottenham, West Foostcray, Yarraville.
- Melbourne: Carlton, Docklands, East Melbourne, Kensington/Flemington, Melbourne and the CBD, North Melbourne, Parkville, Port Melbourne, Southbank, South Yarra (part), West Melbourne.
- Melton: Brookfield, Burnside/Burnside Heights, Caroline Springs, Diggers Rest, Eastern Corridor, Eynesbury, Hillside, Kurunjang, Melton South, Melton Township, Melton West, Rockbank, Taylors Hill.
- Moonee Valley: Aberfeldie, Airport West, Ascot Vale, Avondale Heights, Essendon, Essendon Fields, Essendon North, Essendon West, Flemington (part), Keilor East (part), Moonee Ponds, Niddrie, Strathmore, Strathmore Heights, Travancore.
- Wyndham: Cocoroc, Eynesbury, Hoppers Crossing, Laverton (part), Laverton North, Little River (part), Mambourin, Mt Cottrell, Point Cook, Quandong, Tarneit, Truganina, Werribee, Werribee South, Williams Landing, Wyndham Vale.
- Phone: 9364 9777
- Fax: 9364 9198
- Website: Mercy Palliative Care http://services.mercyhealth.com.au
After-hours community palliative care
Normal ‘business hours’ of community palliative care services are 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays. Outside of these hours, existing community palliative care clients and their families/carers have access to an after-hours contact number where a nurse can provide phone advice and, if necessary, initiate an after-hours home visit.