AGED CARE QUALITY STANDARDS
Organisations providing Commonwealth subsidised aged care services are required to comply with the Aged Care Quality Standards. These standards focus on outcomes for consumers and reflect the level of care and services the community can expect.
STRENGTHENING PALLIATIVE CARE PROVISION
Reviewing and strengthening key policies and procedures will provide a strong foundation to support best palliative care practice.
- Analyse your organisation’s current performance in palliative care and advance care planning processes and identify areas for improvement.
- Decide external experts that your organisation might partner with to review policies and procedure (e.g. community palliative care).
- Work together with partners to review policies and procedures and define palliative care and advance care planning improvement goals and performance measures.
Check out ELDAC website for more information:
ADVANCE CARE PLANNING/PALLIATIVE CARE CHAMPIONS
Key responsibilities could include:
- Act as an ambassador for palliative care and Advance Care Planning.
- Promote and review how palliative care and Advance Care Planning is being provided.
- Act as a resource for other staff, residents and family.
- Assist with or coordinate palliative care and Advance Care Planning quality improvement activities.
Check out ELDAC’s Support Systems which includes identifying palliative care and advance care planning champions. Click here for more information.
ELDAC FACILITATED PROGRAM
ELDACs team of facilitators support and enable health and aged care workers to provide best quality care for older Australians and their families at the end of life. There is further information at ELDAC Working Together Program.
ELDAC’s ORGANISATIONAL AUDITS
ELDAC’s approach to quality improvement and audit tools can be found by clicking here.
PALLIATIVE CARE OUTCOMES COLLABORATION (PCOC) IN AGED CARE
PCOC is a national palliative care outcomes and benchmarking program implemented across Australia.
PCOC’s program in residential aged care helps improve palliative care outcomes in residents, and their carers and family. It provides a routine screening, assessment and response model to be used with each resident. Click here for link.